So yesterday I babysat for a really adorable 3 year-old boy. I always find it sort of inspiring to be around little kids. They are so imaginative and fun-loving. He was very very energetic and was dancing around the little apartment his family lives in. The scribbles he drew were all machines that made different things, including cars, ice, and bugs. He is one of those super curious kids who wants to know why. Why everything. He was the sweetest guy and I wanted him but at the same time was scared of him. I didn't have all the answers for him. I thought of him grown up and no longer asking why.
I loved being in their apartment because I thought about how nice it would be to have my own apartment someday (soon!). Even though there's so little space, I sort of like how it forces you to pare down your belongings. I always thought the articles in Ready-Made or Dwell, etc. about creative ways to save space were interesting. It's sort of a challenge, but a fun one. And I like looking at the books and music people own and seeing what I can tell from that. Everything was alphabetized by author and there were a lot of books about dieting, parenthood, happiness, and other self-help books. Those sort of scare me.
Here are these two young parents, living in the city, trying to raise a child, both with jobs, trying to maintain some semblance of their life before being parents. I can't explain it really, but it freaked me out.
And the fact that they had all of these how-to books about parenthood. I mean, what if you're just not good at it? So many people aren't. This boy was asking me all sorts of questions, so much faith in me that I knew the answers to everything just because I am bigger.
Here are some questions I had trouble answering:
Why are bad guys bad?
Where do you live?
What's an appendix? (in a Madeline book, wth)
What is protein?
Why do they [mice] think it [cheese] is tasty?
Why is it [California] far?
Why does she [the stepmother in Hansel and Gretel] want to get rid of them?
Then he covered my pant legs with stickers so I could be decorated so I could go to a party.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment