Balancing the state's budget instead of writing my Shakespeare paper.
To me, it's a no brainer. TAXES. A temporary tax hike, tax gas, alcohol, cigarettes, "high-earners", crude oil, add a vehicle license fee, speeding cameras, [make weed legal]. Yeah it would kinda suck, but here are your other options: welfare, child care, care for the elderly, aid for disabled, Medi-Cal, Medi-Cal for recently legal immigrants (why this is even a separate option is outrageous), UCs, Cal States, financial aid, community colleges, prisons, law enforcement, state payroll, state parks, Conservation Corps.
If you tax gas a lot, it will be awful. But it will force the issue of global warming. I don't have to pay for gas most of the time so it's easier for me to say this. But I think it needs to happen because it is the only thing that will ween people off oil and create demand for environmentally friendly alternatives.
This is probably what the entire nation needs to do. I know I'm basically a socialist, let's just hope Jerry Brown shares my ideas.
1.30.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment