5.02.2011
In light of yesterday
I'm really upset by how a lot of people are reacting to the news of Osama bin Laden's death. A lot of people congregated at Ground Zero shouting and yelling and waving American flags after Obama made his announcement. I just don't find this to be something to celebrate like you just won the Superbowl. It's pretty shocking to me how disrespectful people are to the memory of people who died in 9/11. This is not a "Party in the USA" kind of moment and it makes me pretty nauseous to see people react in that way. I'm not sure how to react and I understand that people are glad, but I guess I am sobered by the thousands of casualties that have led up to this moment. This doesn't mean "we win" or that anything at all is over. It's sad to see people have this kind of "eye for an eye" mentality of vengeance. The sight of people celebrating more bloodshed is hardly productive for what I would hope would be a slightly more peaceful future. It's hard for me to accept Osama as a figure who is evil incarnate and that after killing him we have defeated Satan or some shit. It's very weird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very well said! :) Now following!
ReplyDeleteOne simple question for you,my friend..
ReplyDeleteIS THE WORLD SAFER NOW WITH BIN LADEN KILLED? OR WILL TERRORISM GET WORSE AFTER EVERYTHING THAT IS BEING SHOWN ON TV,EXPLAINING HOW THAT MAN WAS KILLED?
I just hope killing Bin Laden doesn't turn out to be THE WORST DECISION.
Greetings from El Salvador.
I too have thought about the death of this man who was a leader in hate and the deaths of many innocent people.
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time with the "celebrations" factor. We, as human beings say we want peace for all mankind and yet war continues. War, is so ugly. There are never any real victors, we all suffer greatly from every war.
Terrific post.
ReplyDelete