12.12.2011

gender has never once factored in to my tastemaking never

Is it true that gender doesn't factor into your music taste if you're a guy and all the music you like is made by guys? Doesn't that just mean that being male is naturalized as the status quo? Maybe if you were a female you would be aware of the fact that all that music in your library was made my men. Revise that statement: I think you definitely would. You can say that gender doesn't factor into your music taste, but if every band you like is male, doesn't it seem like gender is at play? Yeah, you don't think about it in the same way a white person would say race never once factored into their musical taste, but all the musicians they like are white. But I reject the next impulse, which is to say, but wait, I like Metric, I like Lily Allen. See: mufuggin' Linda Nochlin, Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists? (1971). That doesn't quite help things, in the way that having a token black character on a TV show doesn't make the show multicultural/unbiased. You can't remedy the situation like that.

(Yet it doesn't feel like an act of conscious bigotry. I said, I blame the patriarchy. Partly joking, partly not. Mostly not, I think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment