8.02.2011

Riot mom

Read the article here.

Bikini Kill at 1020 (yes, that 1020) in 1996... brb gonna go die.

Izzy Schappell-Spillman: I’m sure you get this question all the time, but I wonder how do you think riot grrrl is important for the next generation?

Kathleen Hanna: I don’t know. I mean, how do you think riot girl is important to the next generation?

I: Well, I think it’s incredibly important. I’m trying to start a feminist club at my school and there are a lot of people, guys and girls, who say stuff most in a jokey way like, ‘Get back to the kitchen’ And, I’m like, ‘NO.’ or, ‘If I do, I’ll come back with a knife’! I think young women are scared to identify as feminist. It’s bizarre and I don’t understand it. Feminism has somehow become a dirty word. When feminism is cool, and I think people, especially girls need to see riot girl presenting feminism as a cool thing?

K: We were experiencing the exact same thing you are talking about in the 90s. It’s really sad to know we were having the exact same conversations: ‘Why is feminism not cool? Why is it a dirty word? Why is it embarrassing to identify ourselves with that?’ That’s why Tobi, the drummer from Bikini Kill, and I met. I was in this band, back when I was nineteen, called ‘Viva Knievel’ and a lot of the lyrics I wrote were about sexual abuse, and I felt pretty alone and pretty hated. Then I read her fanzine and she talked about sexism in the punk scene and I knew I had to be friends with her—cause there really was no one else who was talking about this stuff at the time. I mean, we were totally laughed at by a lot of people. It’s sad that you guys have to fight the same fights we did and have the same boring old arguments. Hopefully, what we did can at least be used for reference and you guys don’t have to feel like you’re starting totally from scratch. But it always kinda feels like your starting from scratch I guess.

I: It is kind of sad that there feels like there were hundreds of women that came before us and we are constantly building upon their legacies but not yet like ‘really.’ Strides have been made since the 90s but there’s still a lot there that needs to be done. “Slut Walks” are currently a huge thing. You know women taking to the streets to end rape culture and victim blaming. Riot Grrrl did an appropriation of the words like bitch and slut…

K: I think it’s great any time people organize for themselves. Like rock camp. I feel like rock camp is such a great way to put feminist theory into practice. Also, Ladyfests—Plus there’s so many women in bands now. A lot of people complain they’re not singing ‘feminist’ songs but I don’t think everyone has to get up and sing ‘white boy, don’t laugh, don’t cry, just die!’ Everyone doesn’t have to be super militant about the way they do their feminism. Clearly, being a feminist or just being a woman isn’t always the most interesting thing about a person. And we aren’t all the same kind of person with the same desires, which is a good thing!

I: Do you consider any of the popular female musicians today feminists?

K: I don’t like Lady GaGa’s music at all but I definitely think she has some sort of feminist connection. She seems like a strong person who is identifying herself as an artist and I think that’s a pretty inspiring thing for young girls to see.

I: I know there’s a documentary being made about you, called The Punk Singer, which Sini Anderson is directing. In the past lots of people have wanted to make documentaries about you, but you weren’t that into the idea, so why now?

K: I guess now because I’m really into making sure everything I’ve done so far is properly documented. I feel like it’s a way for me to honor my work thus far so that I can move on into whatever’s next.

I: I think female artists often have a problem with that because it’s like we’re told it’s not appropriate to be outwardly proud of our work. It makes other people uncomfortable. So women end up apologizing for ASKING TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. It’s taking a stand in and of itself, to be proud of your body of work.

K: Yeah. The whole thing of “you’re a narcissist” is sooooo prevalent if you’re a female artist. And then, if you dare to call yourself a feminist there’s another set of hurdles thrown your way. Like does being a feminist artist mean you can’t ever have your picture in a magazine? Does it mean you’re objectifying yourself or exploiting your body if you wear tight jeans and have your photograph taken? For me all this stuff just gave me the ammunition to not properly document my work as it was happening. But then one day I was like, ‘Who am I kidding? I’m a performer, I fucking love attention. I am a total ham. Why else would I be doing this for twenty-something years?’ It makes total sense that I would want to be the star of a movie that showcases my work.

1 comment: