4.09.2009

Lesbos!

This break is shaping up to be the most boring yet. I have made it my goal to spend no money, so that might be contributing. But I'm also a little sick, although I'm getting better now.

I baked brownies today. The new Metric album 'Fantasies' is AMAZING. Thank you God. If this one had been a slump I don't know what I would have done because the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Metric are two of my favorite bands.

What else. Oh, I'm reading this story by Maupassant called La Femme de Paul, which is good so far. I hate how Maupassant's vocabulary is impossible if you aren't a really advanced speaker. It's very flowery and full of words for which there are many simpler synonyms. It's actually really pretty writing though. I like it. I do not like how he seems to degrade women a lot. Everything I've read of him (only 4 other stories) has had a lot of descriptions of the female body and soul and are kind of odd considering he is a man. All of his stories focus on the downfall/faults/whimsies of women. This story I'm reading is for a French project. There has to be a film to go with it. Hey, I wanted to do Simone de Beauvoir or George Sand, but there aren't any movies made from their books. Anyway, this story is about lesbian sailors so far. They come into this café place and everyone shouts "Lesbos! Lesbos! Lesbos!" It's sort of strange. The movie is Masculin Féminin, by Jean-Luc Godard, which is supposedly based on that story and on one other Maupassant.

I don't have much else to add. Besides this:

I miss the muppets!

No comments:

Post a Comment