I worked at 826 Valencia last summer and this is exactly why it's awesome. The front of the store is "San Francisco's only independent pirate supply store." I can't even really explain to you what this is. They have a goofy website.
The real deal is that 826 Valencia is a nonprofit started by author and weird guy Dave Eggers. It offers free writing classes to SF public school kids in the Mission. It has sister stores in Seattle, L.A., Chicago, Ann Arbor, Boston, New York.
So my bff Jory John decided to have kids write letters to Obama and 826's all over the country did it too. They are publishing a book of the results. A sampling:
Dear President Obama,
Are you going to be pictured on our money? How do you get in the White House? Do you like Abraham Lincoln? Do you have a big backyard? Martin Luther King Jr. had big fans. How many fans do you have? You could help us by giving us food. I am Luis Ramirez. I go to school at Mayberry. I like to play video games.
Luis Ramirez, age 8
Los Angeles
Dear President Obama,
When you are president, don't eat junk food. Junk food makes you fat. Your family shouldn't eat junk food, either, because it is not healthy. Obama, you rock.
Amy Ramirez, age 8
San Francisco
Dear Barack Obama,
I have a great idea for you: you should set up a special phone, a special place just for kids to call the president if they find things that are dangerous and can affect people, like someone smoking. This would be a special place for kids to talk to Barack Obama and let him know what's going on.
Another important thing that I want to talk to you about is cars and buses. There is a bus called the Galactic Wizard which runs on biofuel or vegetable oil. I think, instead of polluting the environment, scientists should work on those buses. You should make it so that everyone turns off any light whenever they are not in the room—that way we can save the environment and also pay less on our electricity. We can't just use up the environment until we have nothing, or we will starve to death. Nobody wants that, do they? I want to tell you, Barack Obama, if one day I could travel around the world and help people, I would definitely do it.
Dhamaril Nunez, age 9
Boston
Dear President Obama,
I want to meet you at my tutoring program with my teacher, Bonnie. Did you ever go to a tutoring program after school like me? What age are your daughters? Are they 11 years old like me? Are you going to help people like my parents find good jobs? I want to tell you that I learned to ride my bike. That is good because I get exercise and play with my friends. It would be cool if everybody rode bikes, because they don't use gasoline and they don't make the air dirty. If I were a president, I would give people jobs.
Furthermore,
Karla Mora, age 11
Los Angeles
Dear President Obama,
I am 10 years old. I am a nice girl and I like to write. I wish you could be the first president of all the world. Obama, when I went trick-or-treating on Halloween, people were giving me candy and telling me to vote for you. Obama, I think it will be better if you tell the people that sell TVs, and all those things, to sell them for a lower price, because my mom and my dad are not working and not getting a lot of money. I want people that are not in a house and don't work to get something for Christmas. Obama, if I were president, I would change a lot of things in this world.
Paulina Rojas, age 10
Los Angeles
that is so cute. oh wow.
ReplyDeleteObama, you rock.
ReplyDeleteI want to start signing my letters with "Furthermore,"
ReplyDeletePersonally, I prefer to sign with "Although" or "However".
ReplyDelete