10.07.2009

Derrick Brown, still great.

Ughh why am I blogging so much!?! I get bored/am supposed to be working/shit happens.

I don't know about you guys, but I would totally marry Derrick Brown. Fo sho. He has overtaken all others (including Kevin Homes, Anis Mojgani, and Christian Drake) as my fave poet. His style is so lyric, and his delivery is really good. He mixes funny with serious, music with spoken word, and his content is varied and consistently hella good. He's one of those poets that leaves you with certain images that strike you, and they stay floating around for a long time. I've heard him live 3 or 4 times I think, and certain lines literally give me goosebumps.

I did a post on him a while ago that should have a few downloads from his CD and a poetry podcast
.

Saw him tonight at NYU. So good. I realized I haven't really written anything for like a month. Firstly, there is no where to write. I can't really write in my room with my roommate in there. I'm in the fluorescently depressing Study Lounge, mix-matched furniture and windows directly above the smoking area. I think I am finally losing the gift/disease of my rampant lyricism. I used to not be able to not think of 50 metaphors and descriptions for anything. Now I struggle to piece together a poem. Maybe I am moving into prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment