10.12.2009

Saved

I am having a rough day. I just feel really homesick. I'm pissed off at random things. I sat in the hallway of Brooks 3 because there were fucking tour groups outside my room all afternoon and my roommate was in my room. So I sat there and called my mom and started crying and there was no where to go where I could just be alone and not bothered by people. I have a Classical Myth midterm and SO fuckin much reading and it's all grey out and freezing cold.

I listened to the NPR podcast of The Gossip live, co-hosted by Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney. Still haven't round my riot grrrl best friend here (I know you're out there!). But at least Barnard has a cool zine collection. I saw The Gossip live on Friday and the podcast was cool to reenact that. In the finale, Beth Ditto tells the crowd, 'I want you to feel like you're a part of something. I want you to feel good. I want you to know you matter.' Then they played Standing in the Way of Control and a cover of Bikini Kill's Rebel Girl. The show I went to was absolutely amazing. We somehow ended up like in the third row as people pushed forward. There were these drunk Italians that were screaming in my ear, which was fucking annoying. A random guy thought it would be a good idea to mosh or something and he started shoving everyone. Beth Ditto is a big LGBTQ activist and there were naturally a lot of gays there. So this butch lesbian girl knocks the hat off the jerk guy and he calls her a dirty cunt and they start fighting. But they are right in the front so Beth Ditto is like what's going on here. When she finds out the guy called someone a dirty cunt she gets really upset and makes him apologize into the mic, which he refuses to do. So she had him escorted out. Then she sang What's Love Got To Do With It. It was pretty great. She's actually the sweetest person ever though. She has this cute Southern accent and these adorable short fingers and bright red hair.

So now I'm listening to a mix (I made for Erin trying unsuccessfully to convert her angst into...a different variety of angst?) of riot grrl music and I feel unbelievably much better. My roommate is gone. My next door neighbors on wither side seem to be the only people on my floor who like to play music really loud. To the right is a girl from Texas who plays gross Country/Pop and stuff like Blink 182. Yeah. Not my thing. The other side plays rap. So that's great. I'm blasting this playlist right now and I wanted to share it with you.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment